{short description of image}  
St Petersburg crest

ST. PETERSBURG - VIEWS

If you want to translate this page go here.Translate and enter this URL in the Alta Vista blank.

Micha Jelisavcic
John Sloan

Here we have the photographs taken during various visits to St. Petersburg to accompany the text description of the city's history. To read about the city's history please go here. For history of the Fortress St. Peter and Paul go here. We have moved photography of the major palaces to - Peterhof - Hermitage - Catherine Palace - Pavlovsk - Gatchina.

Link

Description

  {short description of image}

Plan of St Petersburg in 1737

 
  {short description of image}

Map of St Petersburg from 1909

 
  {short description of image}

Map from 1902 of eastern part of downtown St Petersburg from Alexander Nevski Lavra to Smolni convent.

 
  {short description of image}

Map from 1902 of central part of downtown St Petersburg.

 
{short description of image}

Admiralty and St Isaacs cathedral from river. The Admiralty was begun as a shipyard by Peter in 1704. It is on the Neva between the Palace and Decembrist Squares. Since 1925 it has housed the Dzerzhinski Naval Academy, so is not open to visitors. It originally was surrounded by a high earthen rampart and moat. In this was a U shaped building with the shipyard in the center. Actually the Admiralty building viewed from the river is only the ends of the two wings. The space between was sold to private owners.

{short description of image}

The spire of the Admiralty, seen here through the Gorky gardens, is a landmark visible from many parts of the city. It is 72.5 meters tall.

{short description of image}

The neo-classical columns make the Admiralty a worthy complement to its surroundings. The shipyard was filled in between 1806 and 1823 and Zacharov transformed the structure into this impressive monument.

  {short description of image}

View of half the main facade of the Admiralty with central spire toward background. The entire length is 445 yards long. Each wing is 178 yards long.

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup view of lower part of the main entrance section of the Admiralty building.The frieze above the arch is by Terebenyev and memorializes 'The Founding of the Russian Fleet". It shows Peter I receiving a trident from Neptune. The corner statues are of Achilles, Ajax, Pyrrhus and Alexander the Great. Above the frieze is an Ionic peristyle of 28 columns.

 
  {short description of image}

View of upper section of the central part of Admiralty building. Above the peristyle there are 28 statues - pairs each of the four elements, earth, fire, water and air, the four seasons, th four winds, the Egyptian godess Isis who proteects shipbuilders, and the Muse, Urania. Above them is the gilded dome and the spire. At the top is a weather vane shaped as a caravel.

 
  {short description of image}

Admiralty and St Isaacs from the river, expanded view.

 
  {short description of image}

Nevski Prospect a few blocks from the Admiralty.

 
{short description of image}

The statue of Tsar Nicholas I on horseback is in Isaac square near both the cathedral and the Astoria hotel.The statue was designed by Montferrand, who also designed the cathedral.

  {short description of image}

Statue of Tsar Nicholas I on horseback. The figures of women at the base are his daughters, representing faith, wisdom, justice and might. But one should note that Nicholas himself was only interested in the last of these. The pedestal is made of granit, porphyry and marble. His achievements are shown on the reliefs around the base.

 
  {short description of image}

Another view showing the full facade of the Mariinski palace. The palace was ordered by Tsar Nicholas I in 1839 for his eldest daughter, maria and designed by Stakenschneider. Maria's heirs sold it to the state in 1894. It then housed the State Council. The Provisional Government met here also before moving to the Winter Palace. After the revolution it became the Town hall and Leningrad City Soviet. The palace is across the Blue Bridge over the Moyka from the rest of the Isaac Square. The bridge is 110 yards wide (parallel to canal) but only 38 yards long (across the canal).

 
{short description of image}

The arch in the facade of the General Staff Headquarters, shown here close up, leads to an alley that curves to meet Nevski Prospect. The arch commemorates the Russian victory over Napoleon.

{short description of image}

View through the arch to the Winter Palace.

{short description of image}

The Hotel Astoria on Isaac square was the location Hitler planned to hold his victory banquet upon taking Leningrad during World War II. He was undoubtedly disappointed. The statue is Tsar Nicholas I. The hotel was built in 1910-12.

  {short description of image}

View from St Petersburg hotel to cruiser Aurora.

 
  {short description of image}

In this view of the Cruiser Aurora note the spire of the Cathedral of St Peter and Paul in the fortress directly behind the Naval academy and cruiser. Note on the far left horizon the dome of St Isaac's and the spire of the Admiralty in the haze. In the center on the horizon one can barely make out the Strelka with its two rostral columns and the former stock exchange between them.

 
{short description of image}

Moscow train station. It was built in 1851 by Konstantin Thon, and is identical to the Leningrad station at the other end of the line in Moscow.

{short description of image}

Stature of "Bronze Horseman" - Peter I - in the Square of the Decembrists. The square is open to the Neva. On the east is the Admiralty, the south St Isaac's and west, the Senate and Synod.

{short description of image}

The statue derives its name from Pushkin's poem. It was created by Etienne Falconet between 1766 and 1778.

{short description of image}

The horse stamps on a snake, symbolizing overcoming treachery.

{short description of image}

View of Bronze Horseman with the former Senate and Synod in the background. The building now houses the Central State Historical Archives.

{short description of image}

Statue of Peter I, note that Catherine II got her name on the 1600 ton stone base.

{short description of image}

Palace on embankment

{short description of image}

Yusipov Palace on Moyka Canal

{short description of image}

Fontanka canal

{short description of image}

Yusipov palace on Moyka Canal. The building was remodeled in 1760's and then extensively changed in the1830'sand later 19th century. This is the location where Rasputin was killed.

  {short description of image}

Winter Canal next to Hermitage

 
  {short description of image}

View of section of canal off Nevski Prospect with Sheremetev palace on far left.

 
  {short description of image}

View of section of the Fontanka canal from in front of Sheremetev palace toward Nevski prospect.

 
  {short description of image}

The Moyka canal next to Nevski Prospect in March with ice remaining.

 
  {short description of image}

The Moyka canal near the New Holand area looking toward St Isaac's in the distance.

 
  {short description of image}

Entrance to the mysterious New Holland island off Moyka late at night.

 
  {short description of image}

The Lomonosov bridge over the Fontanka canal on Razevzhaya street.

 
  {short description of image}

Victory memorial arch

 
  {short description of image}

Shrine across the street from the Cathedral of our Savior.

 
  {short description of image}

Cathedral of our Savior on the precious blood, built on the location where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated on his way back from military review.

 
{short description of image}

Upper domes, Cathedral of our Savior.

{short description of image}

Close up of upper domes

{short description of image}

Window and arch

{short description of image}

Lower tent roof

  {short description of image}

View of Cathedral of our Savior

 
{short description of image}

Full view

{short description of image}

Catherdal of Our Savior on the Blood, side view

{short description of image}

Cathedral in evening, note deep color change

{short description of image}

Full view of cathedral

{short description of image}

Close up of front of cathedral

  {short description of image}

Closeup detail of Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup detail of Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup detail of Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup detail of Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup detail of Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup detail of Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

George Gordon's photo of the Cathedral of our Savior

 
  {short description of image}

Catholic Church of our Lady of Lourdes now reopened

 
{short description of image}

Catholic Church of our Lady of Lourdes - interior, statue of Christ

{short description of image}

Catholic Church - interior

{short description of image}

Catholic Church - interior wall

{short description of image}

Catholic Church - altar

  {short description of image}

Facade of the Catholic cathedral - St Catherine of Alexandria on Nevski Prospect. It was built during reign of Catherine II - closed by Communists and recently reopened but still much in need of interior restoration.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of the Blessed Virgin in the St. Catherine Cathedral - the Catholic cathedral on Nevski Prospect.

 
  {short description of image}

The Lutheran church on Nevski Prospect.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 

{short description of image}

Memorial to victorious defense of Leningrad during World War II - located at the front line.

{short description of image}

Some of the statues at the Memorial to victory in World War II.

{short description of image}

Some of the statues at the Memorial to victory in World War II.

  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of some statues at the World War II memorial located where the front line during the siege was.

 
  {short description of image}

New church built on location of the front line in the siege of Leningrad. It is just down the street from the memorial.

 
  {short description of image}

New church built on location of the front line in the siege of Leningrad.

 
  {short description of image}

New church built on location of the front line in the siege of Leningrad.

 
  {short description of image}

New church built on location of the front line in the siege of Leningrad.

 
  {short description of image}

New church built on location of the front line in the siege of Leningrad.

 
  {short description of image}

Institute near Suvorov museum and park.

 
  {short description of image}

Building opposite the riding hall (stables) - near the Cathedral of Saviour.

 
  {short description of image}

The imperial cavalry stables near the Cathedral of our Savior. It was designed byh Stasov in 1817-1823 by adding to existing stables. The domeis the Equerries (Cavaliers) Church in which Pushkin's funeral took place.

 
  {short description of image}

Corner of building on north side of Nevski Prospect.

 
  {short description of image}

Upper floors of buildings on Vladimirskaya Street south of Nevski Prospect.

 
  {short description of image}

Buildings further along Vladimirskaya street toward the Vladimir Cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

The Saltykov-Shchedrin State Library on Nevski Prospect at corner of Sadovaya street on the west side of Ostrovsky Square. This side was built between 1796 and 1801 but the other side facing the square was built in 1828-34 when Carlo Rosssi designed the square and surrounding buildings. Mikhail Saltykov (1826-1889) usee the pen name Shchedrin. This is the oldest library in Russia and the second largest.

 
  {short description of image}

The famous Singer sewing machine building on Nevski Prospect, now the House of Books. It is on corner of Nevski Prospect and Griboedova Canal. The canal was created during the reign of Catherine II. It is named after Aleksandr Gribodedov, a Soviet era writer. It is now the main book store.

 
  {short description of image}

The famous Singer sewing machine building on Nevski Prospect, now the House of Books. It was built in 1902-4 by Pavel Syuzor in Style Moderne. The Singer trademark globe still adorns the top of the tower.

 
  {short description of image}

Upper part of facade of the Rumantsyev palace on the Neva River front. This building in on the south side of the Neva west of Lt Schmidt Bridge. It is in neo-Classical style wtih a protico of 12Corinthian columns. The pediment has a relief by Martos of Apollo on Parnassus. It now houses the History of Leningrad Museum.

 
  {short description of image}

The Stieglitz museum was founded at the Central School of Industrial Design in 1876 by industrialist Baron Aleksandr Stieglitz. His son in law continued the collection. The building was designed by Maximilian Messmacher. It is now a branch of the Hermitage. Not only the exhibits but also the building itself is a marvel worth a visit. It is between the Engineer Palace and the Preobrazhenski Regiment Cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Here we have a performance of the incomparable Marinskii ballet doing Swan Lake.We were lucky in having permission to photograph during a regular performance in 1964.

 
  {short description of image}

More of the performance of Swan Lake at the Marinskii (Kirov) opera house.

 
  {short description of image}

More of the performance of Swan Lake at the Marinskii (Kirov) opera house.

 
  {short description of image}

More of the performance of Swan Lake at the Marinskii (Kirov) opera house.

 
{short description of image}

Bell tower and view of part of the St Vladimir Church on Kuznechniy pereulok. It was recently restored.

{short description of image}

Church of St Vladimir

{short description of image}

Church of St Vladimir

{short description of image}

Vorontsov Palace on Sadovaya Ulitsa well off Nevski Prospect and opposite the end of Gostini Dvor. It was built between 1749 and1757 by Rastreelli for Mikhail Vorontsov, vice chancelor of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna - later it housed the Knights of Malta (of which Paul I was grandmaster) and still has a chapel for the Knights. that was added by Quarenghi in 1798. - now houses the Suvorov cadet school.

{short description of image}

Chesma church named in memory of the Russian naval victory over the Turks at Chesma. It was attached to the Chesma palace built as a waystop for Empress Catherine II for her travel between Winter Palace and Tsarskoye Selo.

  {short description of image}

The Hertzen Education Institute in the 18th century Razumovski Palace off Nevski Prospect with the Moyka canal in front. It is next to the Strogonov palace on the corner of Nevski prospect and the Moyka. The Razumosvki palace was bvuilt 1762-1766 by korinov and Vallin de la Mothe.

 
{short description of image}

Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan. Paul I commissioned the building with St. Peter's in Rome as his model. The neo-classical Alexandrian style structure was built after his death between 1801 and 1811 by Andrei Voronikhin. The semicircular colonnade on the north side, facing Nevski Prospect is actually on one side of the main axis of the cathedral, which in conformance with Orthodox design is on an east-west axis with altar on the east. The interior is in cruiciform plan. The originally designed colonnade for the south side was not built.

{short description of image}

Bronze statue of St Vladimir by Martos at Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan. See discussion at Voronikin

{short description of image}

Bronze statue of St Andrew by Demit-Malinovskii at Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan. See discussion at Voronikin.

{short description of image}

Statue of John the Baptist by Martos at Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan.

{short description of image}

Statue of Alexander Nevski by Pimenov at Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan.

{short description of image}

Colonnade at side of Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan

{short description of image}

Statue of Barclay de Toly at Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan

{short description of image}

Statue of Kutuzov - very dark due to back lighting.

  {short description of image}

Cathedral of the icon of our Lady of Kazan - view of back side. The dome is 233 feet high.

 
  {short description of image}

The rear side of the Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan.

 
  {short description of image}

Cathedral of our Lady of Kazan seen through trees on the west side.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of the bronze main door of the Kazan cathedral - entrance is through a different doorway. This one is a copy of the Gates of Paradise from the Baptistery in Florence.

 
  {short description of image}

The Atrium exclusive restaurant next to the Kazan Cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Having lunch in the Atrium restaurant inside an exclusive shopping area next to Kazan Cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Banner of a medieval reenactor - Druzhina member displaying it in front of Kazan cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Banner of a medieval reenactor - Druzhina member displaying it in front of Kazan cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Banner of a medieval reenactor - Druzhina member displaying it in front of Kazan cathedral.

 
{short description of image}

Engineer Palace - also called Mihail Castle - It looks like a medieval castle because Emperor Paul I wanted it to be his fortress and refuge, but it looked even more like one previously. The name comes from Paul's claim that the Archangel Michael instructed him to build the palace and church. Paul had a former palace in which he had been born torn down and replaced with this one. It was designed by Vasilii Bazhenov between 1797 and 1800. It is protected by the Moyka and Fontanka canals but originally also had moats, now filled in.

{short description of image}

View of Engineer Palace from different angle. Paul was not so safe as he hoped and was murdered here in March 1801 only 3 weeks after he moved in. After that the imperial family didn't much like the place. So eventually it was given to the Military Engineering Academy in 1823. In this view we can see the dome of the palace church.

  {short description of image}

Bridge Passage - Bridge over the Moyka and Fontanka canals near the Engineer Castle. The Cathedral of our Savior is in the background.

 
{short description of image}

Trinity Cathedral. It was built by Stasov between 1827 and 1835 in the form of Greek cross. This was the church of the Izmailovski Guards Regiment.

{short description of image}

Domes of the Trinity cathedral. Dostoyhevski, who lived near here, was married in this cathedral in 1867.

{short description of image}

Portico - main entrance to Trinity Cathedral

{short description of image}

Street behind the Vorontsov Palace. It is called Rossi Street from its designer, Carlo Rossi (also called Theater Street) it was built in 1828-34 from Ostrovski Square to Lomonosov Square The buildings now house the famous Vaganova Ballet School and a theater museum, special theater library and Institute of Architecture and Town Planning.

{short description of image}

Church of the Resurection of the Savior. It is next to the Obvodny Canal in south-central section of St Petersburg.

{short description of image}

Detail of the front of the Church of the Resurection.

{short description of image}

Rear view of the Church of the Resurection.

  {short description of image}

Exterior of the palace of Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaievski. -now used for folk art performances.

 
  {short description of image}

Street beside the Nikolaievski palace looking toward the Admiralty after 11 PM.

 
{short description of image}

Staircase and upper landing inside the Nikolaievski Palace - now a venue for Russian folk music performances.

{short description of image}

Modern chapel.

  {short description of image}

chapel.

 
  {short description of image}

Pseudo fortification wall downtown St Petersburg.

 
  {short description of image}

Restored Alexander Palace at Strelna - now a VIP meeting place.

 
{short description of image}

Restored Alexander Palace at Strelna - now a VIP meeting place.

{short description of image}

Restored Alexander Palace at Strelna - now a VIP meeting place.

{short description of image}

Downtown St Petersburg buildings painted for the 300th anniversary.

  {short description of image}

Peter the Great's Kunstkammera museum, founded in 1714, across the Neva river. It is the pale green building with the tower. Its central exhibits were curiosities and freaks, many embalmed. There now is also a museum of Anthropoligy and Ethnography that has one of the finest collections of North American native culture. Next on the left is the facade of the Academy of Science building. It was founded in 1724. The Neo-Classical building was designed by Quarenghi between 1784 and 1787. Not seen is a statue of Lomonosov to the left of the photograph.

 
{short description of image}

Side of Naval Museum - former Stock exchange on Vasilevski Island.

  {short description of image}

On the Strela point one of the Rostra columns - Winter Palace across the river in background.

 
{short description of image}

View across the Neva toward part of Winter Palace and adjacent millionaire palaces. Note that there is still ice on the river in March.

{short description of image}

Corner of Winter Palace from bridge over Neva.

{short description of image}

Downtown St Petersburg on Nevski Prospect - Wawelburg House - now building occupied by Aeroflot - Designed in 1912 by Peretyatkovich to look like a Venician Doge's Palace below and a Florentine Medici palace above. Wawelburg's initials still are on the shield over the pediment.

  {short description of image}

Anchikov palace adjacent to the bridge of same name.

 
  {short description of image}

One of the famous bronze horses at the four corners of the Anchikov bridge. The Bridge is named for the colonel in Peter's army who built it on Nevski Prospect.

 
{short description of image}

The Armenian church on Nevski Prospect, designed by Yuri Velten in 17771-80 in Neo-Classical style.

{short description of image}

The Duma tower on Nevski Prospect. This was built in 1804 as the formerly a city fire lookout tower and it also had a signal station on top via which the authorities in the Winter Palace could communicate clear to Warsaw.

  {short description of image}

Beloselski-Belozerski palace designed in Neo-Baroque style by Andreei Stakenschneider in 1847-48. It stands on the corner of Nevski Prospect and the Fontanka canal next to the Anchikov bridge.

 
  {short description of image}

Beloselski-Belozerski palace

 
  {short description of image}

Beloselski-Belozerski palace

 
  {short description of image}

Portik Rusca was designed in Neo-Classical style by Luigi Rusca as the entrance to an arcade. It was rebuilt here in 1972. It is set back from Nevski Prospect on the south side just east of the Duma Tower. It contains a theater booking office. We see here also some blue awnings of an outdoor cafe.

 
  {short description of image}

The Grand Hotel Europa, one of the most expensive luxury hotels in St Petersburg. It is on the corner of Nevski Prospect and Mikhailovski street between the Armenian and Catholic churches.

 
  {short description of image}

Moskva hotel, where we usually stay in St Petersburg. It is across Nevski Prospect from the Alexander Nevski Lavra and next to the Neva River.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the Alexander Nevski Lavra early on a March morning. The monastery was founded by Peter I himself in 1713 at the location believed to have been the site of Alexander's victory over the Swedes (since determined to be elsewhere). In 1724 Peter had Saint Alexander Nevski's body moved here from Vladimir.

 
  {short description of image}

The Alexander Nevski Lavra from the Neva River side. The Trinity Cathedral is in the center across the Nicholas cemetery

 
  {short description of image}

View of part of the cemetery and main Trinity Cathedral of the Alexander Nevski Lavra in March with snow remaining.

 
  {short description of image}

A section of the Nicholas cemetary in the Alexander Nevski Lavra. This is a much less exhalted cemetery than the Tikhvin and Lazarus cemeteries. This one is occupied by ordinary citizens and monastery folk while the other two are reserved for the famous.

 
  {short description of image}

The entrance gate to the Alexander Nevski Lavra seen from inside the monastery.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Alexander Nevski in square at end of Nevski Prospect by the A. Nevski Lavra.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Alexander Nevski in square at end of Nevski Prospect by the A. Nevski Lavra.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Alexander Nevski in square at end of Nevski Prospect by the A. Nevski Lavra.

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac cathedral - It was designed by Auguste de Montferrand in 1818. It is built on thousands of wooden piles and weighs almost 300,000 tons. It has 48 granite columns eigh weighting 114 tons. They were brought from Finland byship.

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac cathedral - dome is surrounded by angels made by Josef Hermann. Below are angeels with torches by Ivan Vitali on the four corners and statues of apostles in between.

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral - Detail of dome. For a full description of this remarkable edifice and its designing architect please go to Monferrand.

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral - Full view

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral - Full view

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral view from close in under one corner

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral - view from a short distance

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral - dome

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac Cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

View of small section of interior of St Isaac's

 
  {short description of image}

View of section of upper decorations in St Isaac's.

 
  {short description of image}

St Isaac cathedral -detail of dome with one of the angles holding a torch.

 
  {short description of image}

A view of a small part of the interior of St Isaac's mainly to show the size of the columns.

 
  {short description of image}

A view of one small section of the interior decorations in St Isaac's. Note the malachite columns. There are about 35,000 pounds of malachite in the cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Dome of mosque in the northern side of Neva River.

 
  {short description of image}

View of Neva River, Vasilevski Island, Naval Museum, Rostral columns on the Strelka .

 
  {short description of image}

View of the Strelka point showing the Navy Museum and one Rostral Column.

 
  {short description of image}

Closeup view of the Navy Museum and one Rostral column

 
  {short description of image}

Cruise ship on the Little Neva

 
  {short description of image}

Cruise ship and embankment of Little Neva

 
  {short description of image}

Naval dockyard ship and air cushion craft

 
  {short description of image}

Embankment next to Winter Palace, Cathedral of our Savior in distance.

 
  {short description of image}

View of Neva from St Petersburg hotel.

 
  {short description of image}

St Nicholas Cathedral - naval church - the walls are covered with memorial plaques to naval heros and ships lost at sea. It is 2 blocks from the Marinskii Theater

 
  {short description of image}

St Nicholas cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Another view of St Nicholas Cathedral, main naval church.

 
  {short description of image}

Domes of the St Nicholas Cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Belltower of St Nicholas cathedral.

 
  {short description of image}

Bell tower of St Nicholas Cathedral with dome of St Isaac's in far background. The tower is 135 meters from the cathedral next to the Griboyedova canal.

 
  {short description of image}

Another view of the bell tower from a different angle at sunrise.

 
  {short description of image}

Marinski Theater houses famous opera and ballet.

 
  {short description of image}

Another view of Opera house with statue of Rimski Korsakov.Behind us is the Rimski Korsakov conservatory of music

 
  {short description of image}

Palace on Griboyedova canal.

 
  {short description of image}

Another view of palace on canal.

 
  {short description of image}

Spire of Cathedral of Peter and Paul in fortress.

 
  {short description of image}

Map of the Peter and Paul fortress. This is on a signboard at the main entrance

 
  {short description of image}

Fortress of Peter and Paul.

 
  {short description of image}

Close up view of the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul.

 
  {short description of image}

Fortress of Peter and Paul from across river.

 
  {short description of image}

Close up of embrasures of Peter and Paul Fortress from river gate

 
  {short description of image}

Peter and Paul Fortress

 
  {short description of image}

The Russia Museum with statue of Pushkin in park.

 
  {short description of image}

Sheremetev palace now houses an interesting museum of musical instruments

 
  {short description of image}

Part of the buildings of the Sheremetev palace complex.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of one small section of the extensive museum of musical instruments.

 
  {short description of image}

Concert hall in the Sheremetev palace.

 
  {short description of image}

One of the reception rooms in the Sheremetev palace.

 
  {short description of image}

One of the reception rooms in the Sheremetev palace.

 
  {short description of image}

Inside Cathedral of Peter and Paul in the fortress

 
  {short description of image}

From embrasure in Fortress of Peter and Paul

 
  {short description of image}

Fortress from river

 
  {short description of image}

Fortress of Peter and Paul - here is a text about the fortress.

 
  {short description of image}

Ceiling in cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Inside Cathedral of Peter and Paul

 
  {short description of image}

Inside Cathedral of Peter and Paul

 
  {short description of image}

Inside Cathedral - dark

 
  {short description of image}

Preobrazhenski Regiment cathedral. Each of the Guards regiments had its own cathedral. Several were destroyed after the revolution. This remains but no longer contains the wealth of regimental banners, plaques and memorabilia that was in the building before the revolution.

 
  {short description of image}

Cannon outside Preobrazhenski Regiment cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Cannon outside Preobrazhenski Regiment cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Cannon outside Preobrazhenski Regiment cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

Cannon outside Preobrazhenski Regiment cathedral

 
{short description of image}

Dome of Preobrazhenski Regiment cathedral

  {short description of image}

Stieglitz Museum Between the Preobrazhenski Cathedral and the Engineer Palace

 
  {short description of image}

Exhibit showing guards and cells of prison inside the Fortress of Peter and Paul

 
  {short description of image}

Facade of the Strogonov palace.

 
  {short description of image}

The Maly theater across the park from the Russia museum.

 
  {short description of image}

Rostral column on the Strelka - Vasilevski Island

 
  {short description of image}

Menshikov palace on Vasil'yevski Island across the Neva in twilight. Peter gave most of the island to his crony, Menshikov, who was appointed governor of St Petersburg area. Peter spent much time away on campaign. Menshikov built the first stone palace in town between 1710 and 1720. The first architect was Fontana and later Schadel also worked on it. When Menshikov was exiled to Siberia in 1727 his palace was confiscated. In 1732 it housed the 1st Cadet Corps school. During the 19th century it was greatly modified, then for years left to decay. Only recently has restoration work attempted to return it to its original state. It is now a branch of the Hermitage and contains period furnishings and statues from Menshikov's collection.

 
  {short description of image}

The Lt. Schmidt bridge across the Neva. The first stone bridge over the Neva was located here in 1842-1850. It was named St. Nicholas. It was rebuilt in the1930'sand renamed after Lt. Pyotr Schmidt who had led the mutiny on thee Ochakov in 1904.

 
  {short description of image}

Smolny convent - girls school - Founded by Empress Elizabeth Petrovna on the location where previously they made naval tar.

 
  {short description of image}

Smolny Convent

 
  {short description of image}

The Smolny convent - girls school

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of the Smolny convent.

 
  {short description of image}

The Smolny convent founded by Catherine the Great as a girl's school.

 
  {short description of image}

George Gordon took this photo of the cathedral at Smolny convent.

 
  {short description of image}

George Gordon took this photo of the cathedral at Smolny convent.

 
  {short description of image}

George made this photo of Smolny buildings.

 
  {short description of image}

View of Smolny convent from another angle

 
  {short description of image}

George made these photos in the Summer Garden.

 
  {short description of image}

A quiet pathway in the Summer Garden

 
  {short description of image}

Close up of one of the many statues in the Summer Garden

 
  {short description of image}

Statue and flowers in the Summer Garden.

 
  {short description of image}

Another statue in the Summer Garden

 
  {short description of image}

Sphinx on Vasielevski Island.

 
  {short description of image}

Inside Naval museum - in former stock exchange building

 
  {short description of image}

Monument to Suvorov in square off Kirov Bridge.

 
  {short description of image}

St Pantelemon church across the street from the Stieglitz museum between it and Preobrazhenski regiment cathedral

 
  {short description of image}

University on Vasilevski Island - formerly the 12 colleges.

 
  {short description of image}

University buildings - corner of the Twelve Colleges building by Domenico Trezzini built between 1722 and 1742. The main facade (length) of the building is at right angles to the Neva, so only the end is visible from the river side, just west of the Academy of Sciences. The college was commissioned by Peter I but the design was changed by Prince Menshikov, on whose land it was built, to save him space. This resulted in Menshikov receiving Peter's ire. The 12 collegees were originally government departments modeled on the Swedish style - foreign affairs, war, finance and others.It was Alexander I who in 1802 replaced the colleges with European ministries and in 1819 gave the buildings to the University which was founded then.

 
  {short description of image}

General Staff headquarters opposite Winter Palace. It also housed thee Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Now it is part of the Hermitage Museum and houses modern paintings. It has a special exhibition of paintings by Pierre Bonnard and another of Russian and European decorative art.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the chariot and upper part of the General Staff building. The decorative sculptures are by Pimenov and Demut-Malinovski.

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of General Staff building.

 
  {short description of image}

The General Staff Headquarters forms the side of Palace Square opposite the Winter Palace. It was commissioned by Tsar Alexander I, of Carlo Rossi in 1819 and completed by 1829. Alexander bought all the private buildings in the area and had them torn down to create this architectural ensemble. On top is a female driving a 6six-horse - chariot, standing 10 meters tall and 15 meters wide. This symbolizes victory.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the Winter Palace and the Victory monument through the archway of the General Staff building.

 
  {short description of image}

The victory column commemorating the defeat of Napoleon - located in Palace square between the Winter palace and General Staff building. It was designed by Auguste de Montferrand and built between 1829 and 1834. The Doric column is topped by an angel holding a cross and crushing a snake. The column was cut from a single piece of granite of about 650 tons and rests on a bronze plinth. Underneath are at least a thousand wooden piles driven into the swamp and mortar. But the column itself is not attached in any way, merely standing secure by its own weight.

 
  {short description of image}

Victory oblisk monument to defeat of Napoleon in 1812 in Palace Palace square. It took 2 years to cut in Karelia and another year to bring to St. Petersburg.

 
  {short description of image}

Victory monument in palace square. It was raised with the use of many ropes and pulleys

 
  {short description of image}

Victory monument in palace square made from a single granite column.

 

Please go here to read about the history of St Petersburg. Return here to Ruscity. Return here to Xenophon. go to top. Please leave us a comment at our guestbook.