logo

MOSCOW PHOTOGRAPHY

Moscow crest

If you want to translate this page go here.Translateand enter this URL in the Alta Vista blank.

John Sloan
Micha Jelasavcic

This is a listing of photography of Moscow and environs taken during several visits to illustrate the text of the History of the Moscow region which we wrote as a guide for travelers and are now expanding. Here we link to the article by Prince Kuropatkin for the 11th edition of Encyclopedia Britannica. On this page we have photos of the Kremlin, parts Kitai gorod, other interesting places, and a few of the interesting historical churches, but it would take weeks to photograph the hundreds of churches that still remain despite Communist destruction of over half the original number. Now there are several new books and reprints of pre-revolutionary books that describe the old churches and other landmarks, including those now missing. We are selecting descriptions and pictures from old books to create a separate section on churches. One book published by the Russian state Art Library is Svyatini drevnyei Moskvi (Sacred Places of Moscow). It has a full page 19th century picture of each church with a short text. An excelent reference is I. K. Kondrat'yev's Sedaya starina Moskvi: Istoricheskii obzor i polnii ukazatel' yeye dostopamyatnostyei published in 1996, which includes sections on the more important suburbs and country estates around Moscow. We use this extensively. And we also use Ya. Ye. Brodskii's Moskva ot A do Ya: Pamyatniki istorii, zodchestva, skul'pturi, published in 1994, which is organized conveniently in alphabetical order by subject, but is confined to Moscow itself. There are many black and white pictures of great Russian architecture in Sokrovishcha Russkoi arkhitekturi published in 1950 by the State publishing house. L. A. Belyaev's Drevhiye Monastiri Moskvi po Dannim Arkheologii, published in 1995 contains much important information on the earliest archeological remains of monasteries around Moscow. K. Valishevskii's Perviye Romanovi, originally published in 1911 and reprinted in 1990 contains information on Moscow in the 17th century. Ya M. Belitskii's Zabitaya Mosskva, published in 1994 is a fine travelers guide to important architectural monuments. A. V. Rogachev's Okraini Staroi Moskvi, 1993, is invaluable guide to the various sections of Moscow. In separate files linked in blue we have extensive views and descriptive text of the
Kremlin
Kremlin Armory museum
Novodivechi Convent
Danilov Monastery,
Andronikov Monastery,
Donskoi Monastery,
Novo-Spaski Monastery.
Zvenigorod Savveno-Storozhevski Monastery
Pokrovski Cathedral at Izmailovo estate
Kolomenskoye Romanov summer palace estate.
Moscow churches descriptions and illustrations of more churches that we have here.

Photographs and descriptions

Link

Description

  {short description of image}

Lets start viewing Moscow with the statue of the officially recognized founder, Grand Prince Yuri Vladimirovich (Dolgoruki) (1090-1157). The site had been occupied by settlers for centuries already, but the foundation of the city of Moscow is accepted from the Ipat'yevski chronicle entry of (6655), that is 1147, when Yuri established his outpost on the hill by the river and invited the Prince of Novgorod-Severski, Svyatoslav Ol'govich to meet him there.

 
  {short description of image}

Another view of the statue of Yuri Dolgoruki.

.
 
  {short description of image}

Another view of the statue of Yurii.

 
  {short description of image}

Nevertheless Yurii is buried in the Kievan Pechora Monastery. He conquered Kyiv and made himself prince there.

 
  {short description of image}

The statue of Yuri Dolgoruki - founder of Moscow.

 
  {short description of image}

Here is a close-up of the frieze on Yuri's statue. It is from the cathedral frieze in the Yuriev Monastery south of Novgorod on the river Volkhov.

 
  {short description of image}

Another section of the frieze on the statue.

 
{short description of image}

Lets now enter Moscow ceremonially through the Triumphal Arch in memorial to victory over Napoleon, on Kutuzovski prospect between the Panorama museum and World War II memorial.

 
  {short description of image}

Before entering the Kremlin lets get oriented by looking at a plan of the layout. Note the location of the earlier walls of Ivan I and Dmitri Donskoi and that the fortress had a water defense on all sides. But that didn't protect the buildings inside the kremlin during the massive conflagrations that swept the city.

 
  {short description of image}

Map of the kremlin in 1530's during reign of Vasilii III and Ivan III

.
 
  {short description of image}

Map of Moscow in 1590's.

 
  {short description of image}

A section of the above map showing more detail of the kremlin and Kitai Gorod. Some of the landmarks in Kitai Gorod are still there today.

 
  {short description of image}

Map of Moscow and surrounding region at beginning of 17th century.

 
  {short description of image}

Detailed map of northern half of Moscow circa 1590

 
 

{short description of image}

Detailed map of southern half of Moscow -

 
  {short description of image}

One end of GUM - the state department store now filled with shops.

 
  {short description of image}

The facade of GUM department store facing Red Square - photo made in 1964.

 
  {short description of image}

View of interior of one section of GUM photo taken in 1964 - what a difference today.

 
  {short description of image}

GUM - inside state store at night - now a series of shops.

 
  {short description of image}

GUM - inside the mall of the former state store at night.

 
  {short description of image}

Inside the GUM - department store now with many expensive shops.

 
  {short description of image}

GUM - Inside the mall at night.

 
  {short description of image}

GUM - rear corner on Ilinka street -

 
  {short description of image}

George Gordon made this photo of Red Square on a day it was closed to pedestrians. The long building is GUM - the famous department store.

 
  {short description of image}

George made this photo of Red Square viewed from the opposite end. On the left is the Kremlin wall with the Senate, Nikol and Corner Arsenal towers. In the center is the State History Museum and beside it on the right is the rebuilt Resurection gate.

 
  {short description of image}

George's photo of the rebuilt Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. It stands in its place on a corner of Red Square opposite the Nikolski gate tower.

 
  {short description of image}

The State History Museum in center with rebuilt Gate of the Resurection on the right and the Corner Arsenal Tower of the Kremlin on the left.

 
  {short description of image}

State History Museum, newly rennovated and reopened. The building was constructed in 1874-83. The architect was Sherwood and engineer Semyonov. They sought to follow 17th century Russian style. It has 300,000 exibits in 40 halls. View from inside Red Square

 
  {short description of image}

Entrance Door for History Museum.

 
  {short description of image}

State History Museum next to Kremlin at end of Red Square - on the left is the rebuilt Resurection gate - the former entrance gate to Red Square through Kitai Gorod that was torn down by Stalin in the 1930's and recently reconstructed. View from outside Red square

 
  {short description of image}

The State Historical Museum at one end of Red Square. This is the side outside Red Square.

 
  {short description of image}

The red building is the State Historical Museum - the round tower is the Corner Arsenal Tower - 1492 - 203 ft high and168 feet in circumference. The yellow building is the corner of the former Arsenal.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the Moskva River The large white building on right is the Rossia hotel, which now occupies a large part of the former merchant stalls of Kitai Gorod. In the center is the Kremlin with the bell tower of Ivan the Great dominating the skyline.

 
  {short description of image}

View along the Moskva river early in the morning from the bridge next to the Kremlin.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the Moskva river from the bridge. The Kremlin is on right and the restored Cathedral of our Savior is in left background.

 
  {short description of image}

View from top floor of the Rossia hotel over corner of Kitai gorod and then Beligorod east of Kremlin

 
  {short description of image}

View from top floor of Rossia Hotel toward east over Kitai gorod and across the Yauza river - the large Kotelnicheskaya Apartment building stands above the bank of the Yauza. In the close foreground is the east side of the Rossia hotel rectangle. In the center at distance is the bell tower of the Church of the Silversmiths.

 
  {short description of image}

The Kremlin Spaski tower and St Basil's during winter from upper floor of the Rossia Hotel. The Senate building is visible in the background.

 
  {short description of image}

Cathedral of the ProtectingVeil of the Holy Virgin (Sobor Pokrova Bozhiye materi chto po Rvy u Frolovskikh vorot, literally on the moat at the gate) also known as the Cathedral of St Basilius the God's Fool).

 
{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, decorations on ceiling and walls

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, arched dorway

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, decorated wall

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, heating stove

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, details of wall decorations

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, accoustics element

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, details of decorations

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, yellow flowers on blue

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, icons on doors

{short description of image}

Inside St Basil's, ceiling and lamp

{short description of image}

Outside St Basil's, porch and entrance way

{short description of image}

Outside St Basil's, full view of porch

{short description of image}

Outside St Basil's, full view of porch

  {short description of image}

Close up of St Basil's

 
{short description of image}

View from below on river side

{short description of image}

Full view from Red Square.

{short description of image}

Outside, on porch.

 
{short description of image}

Outside full view.

 
{short description of image}

St Basil's outside.

 
{short description of image}

Outside detail view of upper domes.

  {short description of image}

View of St Basil's from the river side, opposite from Red Square.

 
  {short description of image}

View of St Basil's at night.

 
  {short description of image}

George Gordon made this gorgeous photo of St. Basil.

 
  {short description of image}

This is a section view diagram of St Basil's in Moscow. (Krasovskii - 152)

 
  {short description of image}

Two of the diagonal tower cupolas of St Basil's (Pokrovski) Cathedral in Moscow. (Krasovskii 163) Other domes at 164 and 165.

 
  {short description of image}

The west and north tower cupola domes of St Basil's (Pokrovski) Cathedral in Moscow. (Krasovskii 164)

 
  {short description of image}

One of the towers with cupola and dome of St Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. (Krasovskii 165)

 
  {short description of image}

The floor plan of St Basil's cathedral in Moscow. It shows the eight small chapels that surround the main central space. (Krasovskii - 149)

 
  {short description of image}

St Basil's cathedral facade from the west. (Krasovski 154)

 
  {short description of image}

View of St Basil the Blessed from Red square with the Rossia hotel to the left rear.

 
  {short description of image}

Memorial statue of Kuzma Minin and Prince Dmitri Mikhailovich Pozharski, the leaders of the army that recaptured Moscow and the Kremlin from the Polish invaders during the Time of Troubles.

 
 

Kitai Gorod - historical description

 
  {short description of image}

Most visitors to Moscow walk around St Basil's and no further. They don't realize that one of the most interesting streets in the medieval Kitai Gorod section of the city with 16th-17th century architecture is within 100 yards. This is Varvarka Street, which is parallel to the Moscow river and now overshadowed by the huge Rossia Hotel.

 
  {short description of image}

Church of St Barbara the great martyr (Tserkov'' varvari velikomuchenitsi). The original was built in 1514 by Alevisio Novi but the present building was created by Kazakov in 1795-1804 on the original foundations, view toward Kremlin.

 
  {short description of image}

St Barbara Church with the "English House" in front and St Basil's behind it.

 
  {short description of image}

House of Romanov, now with museum .

 
  {short description of image}

House of Romanov - this was built as the mansion of Romanov family by Nikita Romanov, Ivan IV's first brother-in-law. It now houses the mansion museum in this section of the street known as Zaryadie. It is devoted to the lives of the Romanov family in the days when they were boyars.

 
  {short description of image}

Church of Maxim the Blessed on Varvarka street by the Church of St Barbara , 1698, and the English House.

 
  {short description of image}

Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin on Varvarka street.

 
  {short description of image}

View toward St Barbara's Church. The Monk's building low in front, then the Cathedral of the Monastery of the Sign.

 
  {short description of image}

Bell Tower of the Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin.

 
  {short description of image}

Bell Tower of the Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin.

 
  {short description of image}

Cathedral of the Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin, 1679-1684) built by the workshop of the Kostroma fortification masters led by Feodor Grigor'yevich and Grigori Anisimov.

 
  {short description of image}

Cathedral of the Monastery of the Sign with Hotel Rossia behind.

 
  {short description of image}

Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin.

 
  {short description of image}

Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin, view of first floor from under the overpass entrance to the Rossia hotel.

 
  {short description of image}

The English house - building assigned by Tsar Ivan IV for English merchants in Kitai Gorod - it is close by the Rossia hotel.

 
  {short description of image}

English House, residence of the first English emissaries from Queen Elizabeth I to Tsar Ivan IV.

 
  {short description of image}

English House from the opposite side.

 
  {short description of image}

Cathedral of the Monastery of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin

 
  {short description of image}

The Church of the Blessed Virgin's Protecting Veil (Pokrova Bozh'ei materi) is also known as the Church of St George on the Pskov hill, 1657-8. The adjacent bell tower is from 1818.

 
  {short description of image}

Church of the Blessed Virgin's Protecting Veil (St George) in background with its belltower in foreground.

 
  {short description of image}

Church of the Blessed Virgin's Protecting Veil (St George) with bell tower at east end of Varvarka Street.

 
  {short description of image}

Fragment remaining of the wall of Kitai Gorod, now just behind the Rossia hotel parking lot.

 
  {short description of image}

Tret'yakovski Entrance gate and passage to Kitai gorod and buildings over it was built in 1870-71.

 
  {short description of image}

Close up view of the remaining corner tower of the former wall around Kitai Gorod across the boulevard from Lubyanka closeby the Tret'yakovski passage.

 
  {short description of image}

New Tret'yakovski entrance gate through the Kitai Gorod wall opened in 19th century.

 
  {short description of image}

Section of the Kitai gorod wall with fortress tower in front of the upper part of the Epiphany monastery. The gold dome of the Zaikonospaski monastery is to the left.

 
  {short description of image}

Rebuilt stylized tower of the Kirai Gorod wall - for tourists with restaurant inside.

 
  {short description of image}

Entrance to a new restaurant built as part of the reconstruction work on Kitai Gorod. It is modeled after medieval design.

 
  {short description of image}

A short section of the Kitaigorod wall has been restored as a tourist attraction. The upper part of the tower of the Ephinay monastery is directly behind the tent roof of the fortress tower. The gold dome of the Zaikonospaski monastery is to the left.

 
  {short description of image}

Tret'yakovski entrance Gate into Kitai gorod built in 19th century to facilitate commerce.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the Tret'yakovski passage entrance to Kitay Gorod from the opposite, inside the walls, side.

 
  {short description of image}

Picture of the first printing plant in Moscow as it appeared in the 17th century.

 
  {short description of image}

Photo of the former printing plant building in Kitai Gorod as it looks today on Nikolskaya street.

 
  {short description of image}

Details of the building that housed the printing plant on Nikolskaya street.

 
  {short description of image}

Facade of the Printing house in Kitai Gorod

 
  {short description of image}

Detail of the facade of the Print house in Kitai Gorod.

 
  {short description of image}

Trade building on Ilinka St in Kitai Gorod.

 
  {short description of image}

View of Ilinka Street facing toward Kremlin.

 
  {short description of image}

Ilinka Street in Kitai Gorod - building restoration.

 
  {short description of image}

Government trade ministry in Kitai gorod

 
  {short description of image}

Small out building of the Bogoyavlenski monastery in Kitai Gorod. For views of the monastery cathedral please go to the section on Russian churches.

 
  {short description of image}

The home of the icon painter. Simon Ushakov in Kitai gorod across from the Church of St Nicholas in which he painted the iconostasis.

 
 

Description of Beli gorodWhite City

 
 

Historical description of the Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ our Savior. Photos of the cathedral are in the churches directory.

 
{short description of image}

Equestrian statue of Marshal of Soviet Union Zhukov in front of the State History Museum. While this is right outside of Red Square it is already in Beligorod and not Kitaigorod, which is only east of Red Square.

  {short description of image}

Statue of Marshal of the Soviet Union G. Zhukov beside the State Historical Museum on the right rear. The building on left houses the archeological museum.

 
  {short description of image}

When Stalin tore down the Cathedral of our Savior he planned to built the tallest skyscraper in the world. But the foundations would not support this. So they built a swimming pool instead.

 
  {short description of image}

Church in the Aleks'yevski monastery - 1625 -(Krasovski - 204) The monastery was torn down in the19th century to make space for building the Cathedral of our Savior.

 
{short description of image}

Kuznetski Most, fashionable street in downtown Moscow. It is in Beli gorod just outside the corner of Kitai gorod just behind Lubyanka.

  {short description of image}

Another view of a section of Kuznetski Most, showing classical buildings turned into expensive shops.

 
{short description of image}

City Hall, once the residence of the governor, baron Z. G. Chernyshev.

{short description of image}

Moscow Soviet - city hall - Quite remarkable is that when Tver Avenue was widened they lifted and moved the entire building back several yards.

  {short description of image}

Central section of facade of the Army Theater. The overall plan looks like a star.

 
  {short description of image}

The Pashkov house - When one drives past the Kremlin on the wide Manezhnaya street from the Boshoi Kammeniye bridge this huge building rises on the high bluff opposite the Kremlin walls.

 
  {short description of image}

View of the whole area adjacent to the Aleksandrovski Garden looking toward Manezh square with the Central Exhibition hall on the left.

 
  {short description of image}

View of corner of Central Exhibition hall.

 
  {short description of image}

Dome of the northern hemisphere over the underground garage between the Kremlin and Manage.

 
  {short description of image}

Prince Troyekurov's Palace, (1691-96) on Georgevski street was built for the head of the main Streltsi Department (prikaz) who was in charge for Peter I of the building of the Sukharev tower.

 
  {short description of image}

Georgiyevski street across from the Troyekurov Palace. This is parallel to Ohotni street in Beli gorod between Tver and Bolshaya Dmitrovka streets.

 
  {short description of image}

Corner of Georgiyevski street.

 
  {short description of image}

Plaque on wall at Pushkarski street.

 
  {short description of image}

Inside Detski Mir - the central children's store near Lubyanka prison and former KGB headquarters.

 
  {short description of image}

Lubyanka - the headquarters and holding prison of the KGB in the building of the Rossia Insurance Company built in 1898. Now it houses the Border Police.

 
  {short description of image}

The central Synagogue in Beligorod just east of Kitaigorod.

 
  {short description of image}

Now the ByeloRus embassy building on corner of Maroseyka and Armyanski streets in the former Ukrainian quarter of Beli Gorod.

 
  {short description of image}

The corner of Ilinka street at east end where it comes out of Kitai gorod - accross the street from the Politechnical museum.

 
  {short description of image}

The Poli-Technical Museum founded in 1870's - in Beligorod just outside old Kitai Gorod walls.

 
  {short description of image}

The rear side of the Polytechnical Museum in Beligorod just outside the old Kitaigorod wall.

 
  {short description of image}

Shrine monument to the Russian grenadiers who fought at Battle of Plevna in Russo-Turkish war. It is located in Beligorod just east of the Kitai gorod wall in the wide space left after the clearance of the wall and its outer ramparts. It is about a block from the Polytechnical museum.

 
  {short description of image}

Shrine monument to the Russian grenadiers who fought at Battle of Plevna in Russo-Turkish war. It is located in Beligorod just east of the Kitai gorod wall in the wide space left after the clearance of the wall and its outer ramparts.

 
  {short description of image}

Shrine - Monument to the Grenadiers at Plevna in Russo-Turkish war -

 
  {short description of image}

Monument to the Grenadiers at Plevna - Russo-Turkish war - view from other side

 
  {short description of image}

Tower??

 
  {short description of image}

Institute of Architecture on Rozhdestvenka street

 
  {short description of image}

Kuznetski Most - upscale shopping street - "Kuznetski" is name of the blacksmiths who lived here and "Most" is from the former bridge here of the Neglinka river that is now underground.

 
  {short description of image}

Street scene behind the Bolshoi Opera house at corner of Kuznetski most - very high class shopping section of Moscow.

 
  {short description of image}

Bolshoi Theater, built originally in 1776, by the entrepreneur, M Medoks and the Moscow governor Prince P. Urusov.

 
  {short description of image}

The Bolshoi Opera house on Theater square.

 
  {short description of image}

The Morozov mansion - Now called The House of Europe - This was built for the millionaire Arseny Morozov in 1898 after he saw Morish architecture in Salamanca, Spain. It is right across the street from the Arbat metro station.

 
  {short description of image}

Typical town house of wealthy Russian from 18th-19th century. Next to Voskreseniya Gospodstva Church on Bolshoi Nikitnika street.

 
  {short description of image}

Celebration of liberation of Ukraine at Kiev station , with Statue of Klemenitski in background of picture.

 
   {short description of image}

Ceiling in Moscow subway.

 
{short description of image}

Ceiling in Moscow subway.

 
  {short description of image}

Moscow subway station - escalator.

 
  {short description of image}

Moscow subway - mosaic

 
  {short description of image}

Moscow subway - mosaic

 
  {short description of image}

One of the stained glass "windows" underground in the Novoslobodskaya station.

 
  {short description of image}

Scene in mosaic in the Kyievskaya station.

 
  {short description of image}

Mosaic scene of Peter I at Poltava in Moscow undergroundstation

 
  {short description of image}

Mosaic of Peter the Great at Poltava in Moscow subway.

 
  {short description of image}

Workers statue at Byelorussian station of the subway system.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Chernishevski

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Sts. Cyril and Methodius in square in front of the Church of All Saints (Tserkov Vsekh Svyatykh ) in Kulishkakh - in Beli Gorod just east of Kitai Gorod walls.

 
   

Zemligorod and beyond

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Gogol

 
  {short description of image}

The palace of the Weavers guild - Kamovniki - in the suburb of their name just west of Beligorod wall and near their Church of St. Nicholas.

 
  {short description of image}

The palace of the Weavers guild - Kamovniki - in the suburb of their name just west of Beligorod wall and near their Church of St. Nicholas.

 
  {short description of image}

Arbat Street pedestrian walk.

 
  {short description of image}

Along the Arbat pedestrian street. In late March there is still snow and ice on streets.

 
  {short description of image}

Inside the Mo Mo restaurant on corner of Arbat pedestrian street.

 
  {short description of image}

Samsonov House - one of the many Neo-classical mansions built along Prechistenka street in Zemligorod west of downtown Moscow.

 
  {short description of image}

The Apraksin - Trubetskikh homes on Chernishevski street in Zemligorod - built in 1760's by Count M. F. Apraksin. The architect was Krukov. Construction was completed in q774-75 after the building had been purchased by D. Yu, Trubetski. According to legend Empress Elizabeth had parties here with her secret husband, Count Razumovski. They were married in the church just up the street.

 
  {short description of image}

The Apraxin - Pushkin homes on Pokrovka St - built in 1760's.

 
  {short description of image}

Kazan Station of the Russian railroad system was built in north-east Moscow between 1912 and1926 on the square opposite the Yaroslavl and St Petersburg stations. The architect, Alexi Shchusev, mixed seven architectural styles including the tower like the tower in the Kazan kremlin.

 
  {short description of image}

Style moderne house built around 1900 a block from the Cathedral of our Savior.

 
  {short description of image}

Moscow State University. The central tower is 36 stories topped by a tower, the building is 235.7 meters and the spire is 60 meters high.

 
  {short description of image}

Moscow State University named for M. V. Lomonosov (1949-53). The university was founded in 1755 by its namesake and still has its older buildings downtown.

 
  {short description of image}

View of Moscow across the river as seen from the Lenin hill in front of the university. The photo was taken in 1964

 
  {short description of image}

View across the Moscow River of the stadium and downtown Moscow in the distance - The Ukrainia hotel is the tall building on the left. The photo was made in 1964.

 
  {short description of image}

Shrine on the grounds of the new Memorial to World War II.

 
  {short description of image}

Huge memorial to World War II opened for the 50th anniversary of the end of the war.

 
  {short description of image}

In the block between the WWII memorial and the Borodino Panorama museum is the victory arch for defeat of Napoleon in 1812.

 
  {short description of image}

Borodino Battle Panorama Museum on Kutovski prospect. Please go to the section on Borodino battle in the Russian history folder for more photos of the Panorama Museum and the actual battlefield.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue to Marshal Kutuzov, first shown in 1973, in front of the Borodino Panorama Museum on Kutuzovski Prospect a few blocks from the World War II Memorial. The designer was N. Tomsky.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Marshal Kutuzov and the Borodino Panorama museum

 
  {short description of image}

Bust of Marshal Kutuzov at the Borodino Panorama Museum

 
  {short description of image}

The hut in which Kutuzov conducted his council meeting deciding to abandon Moscow to the French - behind the Borodino Panorama museum

 
  {short description of image}

Russian officers at Borodino battle - at base of the Kutuzov statue.,

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Marshal Kutuzov outside the Borodino Panorama Museum on Kutovski prospect.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Marshal Kutuzov with Borodino Panorama museum behind it.

 
  {short description of image}

One section of the 360 degree panorama scene of the Battle of Borodino. For more views of the museum panorama and the actual battlefield please go to our Borodino directory.

 
  {short description of image}

Borodino memorial chapel just behind the Panorama museum.

 
  {short description of image}

Church behind the Borodino Panorama Museum

 
  {short description of image}

View of the expensive Baltiski hotel from on the bridge over Moskva river - Bell tower of church of in background. This hotel is directly opposite the Rossia hotel which in turn in adjacent to Red square.

 
  {short description of image}

Sunrise on one of the Stalin gothic highrises. This is the famous Kotel apartment building just across the Yauza river from Beligorod where the Yauza flows into the Moscow River.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Peter I - detail of lower section of the statue with the rebuilt Cathedral of Christ the Savior across the river in background.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Peter I - detail of upper section with Cathedral of Christ the Savior in background.

 
  {short description of image}

Statue of Peter I. This is much despised by Muscovites. It was commissioned by the mayor from his favorite scuptor - designer.

 
  {short description of image}

The entrance to the Tretyakov Museum in the Zamoskvareche section south of the river. The architect was Victor Vasnetsov. For a similar idea see the photos of the Vasnetsov house. He was a proponent of medieval Muscovy.

 
  {short description of image}

Tretyakov museum restaurant - detail of the ceiling.

 
  {short description of image}

Tretyakov museum restaurant - detail of the ceiling

 
  {short description of image}

Vasnetsov House - Built by Victor Vasnetsov the painter who emphasized Russian culture in his paintings. He designed the facade of the Tretyakov museum. His studio was in this remarkable building.

 
  {short description of image}

Vasnetsov House

 
  {short description of image}

Vasnetsov house

 
  {short description of image}

New style apartment buildings.

 
  {short description of image}

The Petrovski Palace is on the extension of Tver bulevard, the road to St Petersburg, northwest of central Moscow.

 
  {short description of image}

Petrovski Palace - view from road. The complex now houses the Zhukovski Air Force Engineering college.

 
  {short description of image}

Highway Institute - main building on the Leningrad road.

 
  {short description of image}

Simenov monastery tower Sokrovi page 55

 
  {short description of image}

Izmailovo bazar market being built next door to the Izmailovo hotel.

 
  {short description of image}

Part of the tourist complex at Izmailovo by the hotel and outdoor bazar area.

 
  {short description of image}

Part of the new construction turning the Izmailovo outdoor market into a full scale tourist trap.

 
  {short description of image}

Another section of the new construction turning the Izmailovo market into a tourist trap.

 
  {short description of image}

George Gordon took this photo showing some of the Russian craft items sold to tourists.

 
  {short description of image}

George found this rug merchant laying out his wares at the Izmailov bazar.

 
  {short description of image}

We have to admit that for a tourist trap there are indeed many excellent wares for sale.

 
  {short description of image}

George found one of the busy streets in the Izmailov complex.

 
  {short description of image}

Another stand with typical Russian collectable items.

 
  {short description of image}

Izmailov market stand with Russian costume dolls.

 
  {short description of image}

Another stand with a variety of arts and crafts.

 
  {short description of image}

George found this stand with excellent porcelain ware.

 
  {short description of image}

Izmailov market stand with a variety of porcelain houses.

 
  {short description of image}

Another stand, with enough stacking dolls to suit any fancy.

 
  {short description of image}

George took this photograph of three of the six buildings of the Izmailovo hotel complex.

 
  {short description of image}

View of one of the Izmailovo hotel buildings from upper floor of another.

 
  {short description of image}

One of the four sections of the huge Izmailovo hotel complex in the background - in the forground part of the new construction of Izmailovo market to make it look like a theme park.

 
  {short description of image}

Another section of the new architcture of the Izmailovo market to convert it into a 'theme park' setting.

 
  {short description of image}

Izmailovo market - a typical lane in the tourist section where Russian arts and crafts are featured.

 
  {short description of image}

George captured this winter scene of the high-rise apartments in Moscow suburb.

 
  {short description of image}

More apartments viewed in another direction.

 
  {short description of image}

George made this photo of a typical better type Russian home in Moscow suburbs.

 
  {short description of image}

George made this photograph of a winter scene along a highway outside Moscow.

 
  {short description of image}

George found this Russian enjoying a winter sleigh ride.

 
  {short description of image}

George found this typical Russian wooden church in the countryside.

 

Return to Ruscities. Return to Xenophon main page. return to top.