{short description of image}  
 

RUSSIAN CITIES -
PAVLOVSK PALACE

 
   
 

In this directory we have photography of the Pavlovsk Palace made during our visit in July 2005. For text and more photos please go to the directory in the Russian cities folder.

 
{short description of image}

Elizabeth and Amanda in front of the statue of Tsar Paul in the courtyard of his Pavlovsk palace.

 
{short description of image}

A statue of Emperor Paul stands in the center of the courtyard in front of the main section of his Pavlovsk Palace.

 
{short description of image}

The courtyard in front of the east side of the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

View up into the central rotunda dome of the Pavlovsk Palace. It rises above the central Italian Hall designed by Charles Cameron as a Neoclassical Roman bathhouse.

 
{short description of image}

A statue in a niche along the wall of the Italian hall, Cameron's neoclassical version of a Roman bath.

 
{short description of image}

A niche in the wall of the circular Italian hall, Cameron's neoclassical version of a Roman bathhouse.

 
{short description of image}

Portrait of Empress Maria Fyodorovna, widow of Emperor Paul, by Austrian painter, Lampi, in Paul's library in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Model of a Roman temple in Hall of War of the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Portrait of Maria and model of Roman temple in Paul's library in the Pavlovsk Palace.

 
{short description of image}

Tapestry in the Gobelin room between Paul's library and the Hall of War. The set depicts scenes from Don Quixote and was a gift of French King Louis XVI.

 
{short description of image}

Gilded military decorations in the Hall of War of the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Wall with military decorations designed by Brenna in the Hall of War of the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Ceiling and part of a wall of the Grecian Hall - considered the finest of Cameron's masterpieces in the Pavlovsk Palace. It in the center of the palace between the two curved wings, on for Paul and one for Maria's rooms.

 
{short description of image}

Another fireplace in the Pavlovsk Palace - in the Grecian room.

 
{short description of image}

Corner decorations in the Hall of Peace in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Small table in the Pavlovsk palace.

 
{short description of image}

Fireplace in Maria Fyodorovna's boudoir, designed by Brenna in 1789, in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Wall and columns in Maria Fyodorovna's boudoir in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Small round table and furniture in Maria Fyodorovna's boudoir in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

A fireplace in the Pavlovsk Palace. Some of these were moved here from the Engineer palace - Paul's fortress in St. Petersburg where he was murdered.

 
{short description of image}

Fireplace with screen in the Pavlovsk palace

 
{short description of image}

Another fireplace in the Pavlovsk palace.

 
{short description of image}

Ornate canopied state bed in the state bedchamber. This was only for official purposes, Maria and Paul actually slept in a bedroom on the ground floor in the suite of private apartments.

 
{short description of image}

Canopy over the state bed in the public court rooms on the first (upper) floor of the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Visitors admiring art in the long, curving Portrait gallery,designed by Brenna, and built in 1798 to house Paul's and Maria's collection of European art.

 
{short description of image}

The art gallery designed by Brenna for the royal couple's collection.

 
 
{short description of image}

Painting of a winged cherub in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

Painting in the art gallery of Pavlovsk Palace.

 
{short description of image}

Portrait of Empress Maria Fyeodorovna in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

The Throne Room of the Pavlovsk Palace. It is the largest room of the palace but was generally used for balls and dinners. The two thrones were removed after Paul was murdered. The table is set with the 606 piece gold dinner service made in the state Lomonosov porcelain factory in St. Petersburg.

 
{short description of image}

The former throne room - the thrones were removed after Paul was murdered. The room was used as a large banquet hall.

 
{short description of image}

Another view of the state dining room in the Pavlovsk palace

 
{short description of image}

Musicians entertaining visitors in the Pavlovsk Palace

 
{short description of image}

The Knights hall - built when Paul was Grand master of the Knights of Malta.

 
{short description of image}

The Knight's Hall designed after Paul was elected Grand Master of thee Order ofthe Knights of St. John of Malta. He took this role after Napoleon captured Malta in 1798

 
{short description of image}

Decorated niche in the Pavlovsk palace

 
{short description of image}

View from the balcony of the private chapel in the Pavlovsk palace

 
{short description of image}

Wall of family portraits of Paul and his many sons and daughters. in the Pavlovsk palace.

 
{short description of image}

Courtyard of the Pavlovsk Palace showing the southern wing which houses the long picture gallery on thee upper floor in center of photograph.

 
{short description of image}

The Three Graces Pavilion designed by Charles Cameron as a Greek temple. In it is a group carved in 1803 from a single piece of marble by Paolo Triscorni of statues representing Joy, Flowering and Brilliance. The pavilon has 16 Ionic columns. This is next to the road just to the left of the entrance to the main palace.

 
{short description of image}

The Pavlovsk Palace seen from the roadway through the trees

 
{short description of image}

The Rossi Pavillon was finally built in 1913-14 from plans drawn by Carlo Rossi in around 1800

 
{short description of image}

A statue of Empress Maria Fyodorovna, widow of Paul, who lived in the Pavlovsk palace and was responsible for much of its artistic style. The statue was placed in the Rossi Pavillon just before World War I.

 
{short description of image}

The Aviary built by Charles Cameron in 1782 - now a small restaurant - small birds were kept in one gallery and the building was used even then for receptions and meals.

 
{short description of image}

View of the central section of the Pavlovsk Palace from the Triple Lime Alley east of the palace.

 
{short description of image}

Another photograph of the imposing statue of Paul I in the center of the palace courtyard at Pavlovsk.

 
{short description of image}

The north wing of the Pavlovsk Palace. It was added by Brenna at the direction of Paul, after he received the original central section built by Cameron at Catherine's direection. It is closed to visitors.

 
{short description of image}

The Temple of Friendship, built by Charles Cameron in 1780 as the first building using the Doric order. The frieze is decorated with garlands and dolphins. It is located north of the palace, down a path in a sharp bend of the Slavyanka river, that meanders through the palace grounds.

 
{short description of image}

The Black Bridge over a gully, not the river, just north of the palace.

 
{short description of image}

The central section of the Pavlovsk Palace as seen from the north behind the northern wing.

 
{short description of image}

The centaur bridge over the Slavyanka river as seen from the hill above

 
{short description of image}

The centaur bridge and across it is the cold bath. at Pavlovsk Palace.

 
{short description of image}

View up the hill from the centaur bridge of the back side of the Pavlovsk palace

 
{short description of image}

Telephoto View of the Apollo Colonnade built by Cameron on a hill above the river.

 
{short description of image}

An Orthodox ceremony gathering on the steps outside the back of the Pavlovsk Palace.

 
{short description of image}

This imposing set of columns is the rear side of the central section of the Pavlovsk palace.

 
{short description of image}

A section of the private garden in the southwest corner outside the Pavlovsk palace. It is enclosed by a wall and hedge and only open from inside the palace, but is off limits to tourists.

 
{short description of image}

A view to the south- west of the Marienthal pond, which lies across the main road from the Pavlovsk Palace. At the far end is the Marienthal fotress, a psudo-Gothic castle built to humor Paul's military proclivities.

 
{short description of image}    
{short description of image}    
     
     
     
     
{short description of image}    

Return to Xenophon. Return to Ruscity. Return to Rushistory. Return to Ukraine. Please leave a note at our guestbook.