Donskoi monastery  

Donskoi Monastery, New Cathedral, 1684-93. In 1771 Moscow had a plague possibly brought by soldiers returning from the war with Turkey. A crematorium was established in this monastery. The crematorium was used again to dispose of prisoners from the Lubyanka. The cemetary contains the graves of many old Russian aristocrats, poets, educators and other famous people and fine gravestones by famous designers. The "Old Cathedral", 1591-93, named for the Don Virgin Mother is in the trees. There is also the Tkhvin Church, 1713-14, over the northern Sacred gate, built by donation of Tsaritsa Praskova Feodorovna,


Return to Xenophon. Return to Ruscity. Return to Rushistory. Return to Ukraine.