{short description of image}  

The mosque (# 13 on diagram) was built in the 13th century, according to the latest information in 1222. In other words it was a Moslem building before the Genoese captured the city. It is 14.3 by 13.9 meters. However, some researchers consider that the building was rebuilt in 1423 by the Genoese as the Consul's reception hall. Of the original building there remains only the kladka and north east corner and one window with aa that is painted characteristic of Turkish architecture. The dome comes from the beginning of the 14th century. The current portal is from the 16th century. Now the building houses a very fine archeological museum that displays interesting artifacts found in and around the fortress. Note that the fortress lower wall, part of which is seen on the left, passes just behind the mosque. The modern buildings are in the modern Sudak far below the fortress.


Return to Xenophon. Return to Ruscity. Return to Rushistory. Return to Ukraine.